The Second Wind Running Club was formed in 1983 to promote running activities in the Champaign-Urbana area. Membership is open to anyone interested in running, walking, and fitness.
2014 Awards Nominatons
It's that time of year again.... to nominate a fellow club member for a stellar year of running. The deadline to nominate is December 5, 2014.
Spring 2015 Marathon/Half-Marathon Training!
Congratulations to all our members who have run events this Fall or should we say winter, Brrr! Just a reminder that now is the time to plan for 2015 and join the Marathon/Half-marathon training programs as a participant or pace leader!
Fall Road Trip Race and Summer/Fall Distance Runs
Fall Road Trip Race: Monumental Marathon in IndianapolisSecond Wind is once again planning a fall road trip for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon weekend. Monumental falls on Saturday November 1st this year, and offers both full and half marathon options, a 5k, and a kids fun run.More information is available at the Monumental website: http://www.
monumentalmarathon.com/We encourage all Second Wind members to register for one of the events and plan on making the trip to Indianapolis in November. Plans will be made for members to get together both before and after the race. Monumental is a flat and fast course, and Second Wind members have achieved a number of PRs and had a great time with each other the past two years in Indy.Summer/Fall Distance RunsThe club will be sponsoring a series of summer/fall distance training runs targeting Monumental. Distance runs will begin on July 26th. Aid (water and gatorade) will be provided. All distance runs begin promptly at 7am; please plan on arriving a few minutes early to sign in with the run host. The full schedule is provided below:
- Saturday, July 26: 14 miles, Hessel Park – Elm Street Pavilion
- Saturday, August 9: 16 miles, Meadowbrook Park – Windsor Parking Lot
- Saturday, August 23: 18 miles, Lake of the Woods Bike Path – Crowley Road Parking Lot
- Saturday, September 6: 20 miles, Hessel Park – Elm Street Pavilion
- Saturday, September 20: 20 miles, location still TBD
- Saturday, October 4: 20 miles, Hessel Park – Elm Street Pavilion
- Saturday, October 18: 14 miles, Hessel Park – Elm Street Pavilion
- Sunday, October 26: Allerton Park Trail Run
- Saturday, November 1: Indy Monumental Marathon, Half-Marathon, and 5k