SecondWind Weekly events - Apr 15 through Apr 21Submitted by email@example.com on Mon, 02/04/2019 - 00:23
Tues Fun Run - Wed Speedwork - 1/4 Zip Pullovers - Earth Week! - Countryside 10K - Club Member Race Discounts off Allerton & Illinois Marathon - Volunteers Wanted!
Second Wind's 1st Annual Earth Week!!!
We hope everyone had fun at the pizza party last Tuesday! To celebrate Earth Day join your fellow Second Wind Running Club members for a week of cleaning up the places where we run! Click here for join our Facebook event. Join us for one or more of these opportunities, Invite friends or family, and post selfies of your accomplishments. Use hashtag #secondwindplogging.
- Tuesday, April 16th - Fun Run
- Thursday, April 18th - Riggs Run
- Saturday-Monday, April 20-22 - Virtual Plogging Event
Also, sign up for our next club race (Countryside 10K), join us on our fun runs, and remind your friends and family to renew their membership! We thank you for being a member!
#7 - Illinois Marathon 5K - April 26
#8 - Illinois Marathon/Half/10K - April 27
TUESDAY FUN RUN at 6pm - Meadowbrook park in Urbana, IL - Windsor Street Pavilion: Our fun run coordinators will meet you in front of the park pavilion on Windsor Road at Vine Street. Runners tend to park in the parking lot on at the Vine Street entrance to the park, for a combination of 1 and 2 mile loops all on sidewalks. Parking is available in the Meadowbrook parking lot on the corner of Windsor Rd and Vine Street. Although I believe you should have enough light to complete the fun run this week, we encourage you to bring lights and wear reflective gear for your enhanced visibility. The 8-week Beginning Women's Running Group (BWRG RUN) targeting the Kirby Derby 5K meets at 6pm at the Pavilion at the South east corner of the Race Street Parking Lot (NOT the Windsor Rd/Vine Street Pavilion) of Meadowbrook park in Urbana IL.
On APR 16, the next Board meeting will be held at 7:15pm: At 7pm the room will used for board committee meetings. At 7:15pm, the Board will meet in the Satterthwaite Conference Room in the basement of the Urbana Free Library. The library is loacted on 200 W Green St in Urbana IL. All members are welcome to attend. If you would like to make a formal presentation or proposal to the board, please Email the President in advance if interested. Members can Check out the agendas here. More information about the library can be found at https://urbanafreelibrary.
Wednesday Speedwork at 6pm: On APR 17, for Speedwork we will park at the UofI Law Library lot (Lot E15 at the corner of 4th St. & Pennsylvania, just east of the ARC) to meet up a little early before jogging over to the UofI Track (located at 602 St. Mary’s Rd. Champaign, IL). Again, you will want to park at the Law Library this week. I encourage you to bring lights and wear reflective gear for your safety to jog back to your car (the perfect cool down after speedwork).
Runners of all speeds or comfort zones are welcome to participate in a fun and different type of workout. An alternative indoor location due to inclement weather will be at the UofI Armory. More information can be found at this link about the UofI Armory! For any questions, you can email the speedwork coordinator at this link. Show up early so you don't miss out!
Thursday Riggs Run at 6pm: We start/finish at Riggs Beer Company and then run south, turn onto Stone Creek Drive and follow it around to Windsor Road. Run east to High Cross Road and take it back to Riggs. (4 mile route, feel free to do more or less). Afterwards you are welcome to stay for a drink, often there is a food truck. Invite friends and family to run or just to hang out with us afterwards. Special event this week, the Riggs Run will be part of the Second Wind Earth Week plogging events. Let's clean up where we run. Participation not required, bags will be provided.
- There are four (4) styles (lightweight to mid weight) to chose from ranging in price from $19 to $36.
- The Second Wind Logo will be embroidered on the front upper left. Here is the link:
- Ordering available through the next few weeks of April Only through the Body’N Sole team page for Second Wind.
OTHER - Read further to sign up for the Expo Booth!!!
- Bring a lot of energy and fun to interact with a variety of runners!
- Opportunities limited to current membership and usually fill up VERY quickly.
- At minimum 3 staffers will be needed for most shifts.
- To sign up to volunteer at the Expo Booth, please click here for SignUp Genius - Booth sign up!
- To sign up to join the planning committee, please click here for the Expo Booth Committee!
- If you are interested in something else, please reach me at President@SecondWindRunningClub.org.
CHRISTIE CLINIC ILLINOIS MARATHON!: If you have not yet signed up, please check your email for this discount code!
The Allerton Park Trail Run (the club sponsored race) will be held Sunday October 27, 2019 at 9am, featuring both a 5.7 mile run and 2 mile walk. Second Wind members receive a $3.00 discount when registering, but the 2mile walk does not count in the Second Wind race cricuit! Both the 5.7 mile run and 2 mile walk is part of the last jewel of the Monticello Triple Crown featuring a post run potluck style buffet, a fun costume contest with awards for best male/female/group costume, amazing age group awards, and more! You must participate in any event of ALL three races to qualify for the Monticello Triple Crown: Allerton Races in April (Half Marathon/10K/5K), Kirby Derby in May (5K/10K), and Allerton Park Trail Run in October!
INDIANAPOLIS MONUMENTAL MARATHON: If you have not yet signed up, please check your email for the discount code! The price increases March 31!
Be Your Best in Illinois! is a new program offerred by the Christie Clinic Illinois Marathon that will benefit all Second Wind Running Club members entered into the race...and as a member of a running club associated with the Road Runners Club of America (aka RRCA). Second Wind is one of 43 running clubs in Illinois that belongs to the RRCA. Member benefits include:
- Postrace VIP Experience: A key piece of the program is a VIP tent for RRCA Club members ONLY at the 27th-Mile Celebrate Victory Bash on Saturday, April 27. A special wrist band is required to enter the VIP tent and can be picked up at the RRCA booth at the Health & Fitness Expo on April 25 and 26. Second Wind Running Club members will pick up their VIP tent wrist band at the RRCA booth, right next to the Second Wind booth at the Expo. After your spectacular finish in Memorial Stadium and great food in the Great West Hall, head over to the 27th-Mile right outside Memorial Stadium for your VIP experience. Everyone’s favorite, Jimmy John’s, will cohost the VIP tent with Lumen Events and serve delicious Jimmy John’s sandwiches, chips, and jumbo cookies.
- Race Discount: If you haven’t registered yet for the 2019 race, use the unique Second Wind discount code...IS...for members ONLY. You should renew your membership and get the emails to see the code. This code is only given to members via the weekly email. At the end of the registration process, you will see a box that asks if you have a Discount Code. Enter the code provided above, select the Apply button, and $5.00 will be deducted from your cart. Good for any event except the youth run.
- Let us know you’re a Second Winder: Entrants are also asked during the registration process if they belong to an RRCA Club, and if so, to list their club name. If you registered for our race before early January, you would not have been asked this question, so click on the link below to let us know that you are a member of Second Wind: https://goo.gl/forms/
- Club-to-Club competition: this is a competitive donation component of the program. The race will donate to a charity of choice of two “winning” clubs based on (1) The club with the highest number of runners entered in the 2019 race and (2) the club with the highest percentage of runners, based on club size, entered in the 2019 race. Because Second Wind has an unfair advantage, the club is not be eligible to “win” the club competition. However, the Illinois Marathon will make a $1,000 donation to Second Wind after this year’s race.
- Questions & Feedback? We hope you are as excited about this new program. If you have any questions, contact the Christie Clinic Illinois Marathon by email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (217-369-8553). Jan Colarusso Seeley & Mike Lindemann, Co-directors: Making Runners Happy, One Mile at a Time! www.illinoismarathon.com or facebook.com/illinoismarathon
- LASTLY - DO NOT FORGET TO VOTE THIS HOMETOWN MARATHON TO THE NEXT ROUND OF MARCH MARATHON MADNESS!
- 2ndWind Expo Booth - a few shifts available on Thurs April 25 and Fri Apr 26: SignUp Genius - Booth sign up!
- Committee - 2ndWind's RRCA Runner Friendly Community Committee: a 2 month project focused on completeing fun (ok, not as fun as running) tasks to help us cerifiy our twin city community of for Urbana-Champaign as a runner friendly comunities!
- Committee - 2ndWind's Expo Booth Committee: a 3+ week project focused on helping our booth at the Christie Clinic marathon expo will look awesome!
- Membership administrator. This role will assist the membership coordinator with tasks such as emailing, member validations, sending reminders.
- Web team master.
- Race timing.
Jim Fair III, RRCA Certified Race Director
President, Second Wind Running Club
Race Director, Allerton Park Trail Run