Allerton Park Trail Run
Race Day is Sunday October 27th, 2019 at 9am for the Trail Run & Nature Walk
- WE HAVE RACE DAY REGISTRATION! To register, please complete a registration form in person at Body'N Sole on October 26 or on race day at Allerton on October 27. Want to avoid the crowds, download our form to complete in advance and bring with you to our event: https://secondwindrunningclub.org/sites/default/files/2019Allerton-RaceDayRegistrationForm.pdf
- To volunteer, please go to https://volunteersignup.org/KTBC3
- Our online race registration sponsor for the event, is racerpal. Online registration will reopen either on New Year's Eve or Day at: https://www.racerpal.com/register/allerton/index.php.
- To verify whether you are signed up for the either event, please go to: http://www.racerpal.com/
register/allerton/. If your name is not on the list, the race director does not have your registration. participants.php
- Forms must be received by the respective deadlines for shirts, awards, or avoid price increases.
- Click here for info about the Monticello Triple Crown award (or scroll down to continue reading)
Race Results, Photos, & social media feeds:
- Current and prior year race results are posted at https://secondwindrunning
- YOUR race photos are uploaded on our facebook page.
- Current and prior year race results are posted at https://secondwindrunning
- Race info and updates sent out via Email and Social Media feeds, and on our web page:
REGISTRATION DEADLINES: Race t-shirts and Monticello Triple Crown signup only available when you register before the respective deadlines.
July 31 Aug 21 - early registration ends (updated last day to beat the price increase)
September 30 - regular registration ends (
tentative last day to order shirts & beat the price increase)
October 12 - Tentative Shirt deadline (in 2019 the last day to order shirts was Oct 13 at 7pm)
October 20 at 7pm - Monticello Triple Crown qualifier registration end (last day to choose the Monticello Triple Crown award if you qualify and STILL beat the price increase)
October 25 - (updated) Online Registration Ends at 7pm last day to register online by 7pm; with the exception of one Monticello Triple Crowner, if the race director does not have your race registration payment you will need to register in person based on the registration fee in effect on Saturday or Sunday. We start transferring info to our race timing team. Anyone with a balance due will need to bring their balance payment at packet pickup, or forfeit their race shirt.
October 26 - (updated) Body'N Sole Sports Race Registration & Packet Pickup onsite in Body'N Sole Sports from 11am to 5pm; transfers from the Trail Run to the Nature Walk or vice versa allowed at no cost for only the person who is running/walking; no refunds; no deferrals; no transfers to other people.
if you signed up online and did not complete registation, you will need to register in person at the rate in effect on this day. no discounts allowed.
October 27 - (updated) RACE DAY REGISTRATION (NEW) & Packet Pickup race day registration from 7am to 8:30am; packet pickup from 7am to 8:45am; transfers from the Trail Run to the Nature Walk or vice versa allowed at no cost for only the person who is running/walking; no refunds; no deferrals; no transfers to other people
if you signed up online and did not complete registation, you will need to register in person at the rate in effect on race day. no discounts allowed.
PRICING INFO (the following deadlines after September 30 are subject to change based on tentative changes discussed for race timing and shirt ordering)
EARLY REGISTRATION by July 31, 2019 = $26.75 with shirt or $21.75 with no shirt option. $3 discount for Second Wind members ~ Click this link for membership info! You can also register for new or renewal membership during sign up!
REGULAR REGISTRATION by September 30, 2019 = $27.75 with shirt or $24.75 with no shirt option. $3 discount for Second Wind members ~ Click this link for membership info! You can also register for new or renewal membership during sign up!
EXTENDED SHIRT DEADLINE by October 12, 2019 = $30.75 with shirt or $24.75 with no shirt option. $3 discount for Second Wind members ~ Click this link for membership info! You can also register for new or renewal membership during sign up!
MONTICELLO TRIPLE CROWN by October 20, 2019 7pm = $27.75 no shirt. $3 discount for Second Wind members ~ Click this link for membership info! You can also register for new or renewal membership during sign up! You MUST have completed any event from the Allerton Races, completed any event from the Kirby Derby 5K/10K, have signed up for any event from the Allerton Park Trail Run (Trail Run or Nature Walk), AND marked the box for the Triple Crown Award when signing up for the fall Allerton Park Trail Run.
- If you are signing up for the Monticello Triple Crown, and are registering for all three races at the same time, please check the following box and select your preferred size for a Monticello Triple Crown award.
- What qualifies for the Monticello Triple Crown award?
- Any of the events for the Allerton Races: the 5K-Glo Run; the 10K trail run; or the trail Half Marathon
- Any of the events for the Kirby Derby 5K Run/Walk or 10K
- Any of the events for the Allerton Park Trail Run
LAST DAY ONLINE REGISTRATION by October 25 2019 at 7pm =
$30.00 $27.75 no shirt (updated Oct 20th). $3 discount for Second Wind members ~ Click this link for membership info! You can also register for new or renewal membership during sign up!
PACKET PICKUP & IN PERSON REGISTRATION (UPDATED as advertised in our email/social media from October 20th)
Saturday October 26, 2019 from 11am to 5pm = $30.00 in store at Body'N Sole (No discounts).
Sunday October 27, 2019 from 7am to 8:30am = $35.00 at the visitor's ceter of Allerton Park Visitor Center (No discounts). Packet Pickup on race day is from 7am to 8:45am.
Last minute changes: Are you looking for a deferral? If you were signed up to race, but volunteer the entire event, we may defer your entry to next year. Must sign up to volunteer and also check in/check out before and after as well.
About the Race
The race (that we fondly just call “Allerton”) is a 5.7 mile trail run and 2 mile timed walk held on the estate of Robert Allerton Park in Monticello, IL. It is always the last Sunday in October, which obviously occasionally falls on Halloween. The time of year at Allerton is beautiful as the trail is through fall-colored forests and past the unique gardens and statuary of Allerton Park.
It is a trail race, which means that runners may find hidden roots, ruts, sharp turns, and other obstacles. The race course follows the river which has proven quite challenging over the years. When the river is high we have to re-route lest we change the race to a duathalon. Still, no matter the rainfall, the trail on the river side is often quite muddy. It can be slippery and certainly splattery. We look at this as a positive feature. Afterall, it’s a trail run. We take great care with preparing the trail to prevent injuries. The day before the race, we have a crew walk the course, clearing it of the large (3 inch!) green walnut balls, branches and marking roots with orange powder.
In addition to paying the park for its use, we donate proceeds back. They are quite gracious in support and ask how we would like our donations used. They have used our donation towards a railing at a dangerous spot, trail erosion control, recycle bins, water fountain bottle filling station, an outhouse on the Schroth trailhead, to complete the Greenhouse Cafe, and more. We feel quite lucky and blessed that the park allows us to bring 1,200+(?) people into it with 600 pounding the trails.
The race ends in the meadow. Family and friends gather while a local radio station provides music. We have a post run brunch that is largely supported by the food items brought by YOU, the race participants and our sponsors. We have an awards ceremony with many age group awards and also many prize drawings.
It's a retro trail race presented by the Second Wind Running Club, a 501(c)3 organization: ALL finishing times based on a chip start and finish time. We cannot allow dogs or baby strollers on the course. We do not recommend wearing headphones as we encourage you to enjoy the beautiful natural sounds of the park on your trail run. If you would like to sponsor any aspect of the event, email the race director!
A printable PDF flyer is at bottom of this page.
COSTUME AWARDS sponsored by Great Harvest Bread Co
- Best Female Costume
- Best Male Costume
- Best Pair/Group Costume
- Post race door prize for the walker division
- Pick out a costume to wear
- Bring your own water bottle
- Supply your own bib pins if you can
- Car Pool
- Bring a brunch item to share
- Have fun!
- Stay for a wonderful post-race potluck style brunch.
- We will also be sure to bring a lot of extra water this year! Runners...your family members and friends are all welcome.
- So please bring a brunch dish to share (baked goods, fruit, etc). Tableware will be provided.
- Sunday October 27, 2019 at 9am
- Duration: 2 hours for both runners and walkers based on a "
gun" chip start time and finish, with a wave start.
Allerton Park near Monticello, IL. 25 miles west of Champaign, IL
Race this course on Strava by connecting with us at https://www.strava.com/clubs/A
- View the run course on maps on strava and MapMyFitness
- View the 5.7 Mile Run Course Map created by Donald Luman
- View a map of the Nature Walk (compared to the original 2 Mile Walk Course Map 2009 created by Donald Luman and Jane Domier)
- * course map may differ slightly from actual course
Directions to Race
Directions to Allerton (follow directions to the NORTH entrance)
In order to protect Allerton Park’s trails, we are limited in the number of runners we can accommodate. Early registration is strongly recommended!
Bib and Shirt can be picked up from Body N Sole on Saturday October 26th between 11am and 5 pm. Packets may also be picked up race day between 7 and 8:45am.
No age group awards for the nature walk. We plan for all waves (including the Nature Walk) to be chip timed from the start, and based on a wave start. Overall male and female winners earn ceramic trophies and Asics running shoes. Age group awards GIVEN TO THE TOP THREE MALES AND TOP THREE FEMALES IN EACH OF THE FOLLOWING AGE GROUPS: 12 &under, 13-18, 19-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75+, Athena (Ladies 165lb+), Clydesdale (Gents 220lb+).
2011 Age Group Award
Things to do, directions, and more information about Allerton Park
Contact Race Director: Jim Fair III at Allerton@secondwindrunningclub.org
Diane Ducey of Stevie Jay Broadcasting, US Country 105.9, ESPN Radio 93.5, Sunny 95.3; Asics; Body N Sole Sports; Athletico; Marvelous Mud; Great Harvest Bread Co; Chicago Recovery Room; Kirby Medical Center; Second Wind Running Club; Curtis Orchard & Pumpkin Patch; RacerPal; Kellys Accounting Service in Monticello.
October 31st Average High is 57°F and the average low is 38°F in Monticello.
A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Friends of Allerton.
Race Updates and Announcements
This race event meets the standards of the American Trail Runners Association. For more information on these standards, please visit the following link. https://trailrunner.com/about-atra/events-standards-program/
This event is directed by an RRCA-certified race director.
Second Wind Pages of interest:
- Allerton race updates
- Sponsors of the Allerton Park Trail Run
- History of Race Results: Allerton Races & Allerton Park Trail Run only
- Registration for Second Wind membership (benefts including race discounts provided year-round)
- Our legal disclosures for the Allerton Park Trail Run
- Back to the information page for Allerton Park Trail Run