Allerton Park Trail Run
Race Day is Sunday October 27th, 2019 at 9am for the Trail Run & Nature Walk
- To register for either event, please go to: https://www.racerpal.com/register/allerton/index.php.
- To verify whether you are signed up for the either event, please go to: http://www.racerpal.com/
- If you need a paper registration form, please email the race director.
- If you have questions about how to register for the Monitcello Triple Crown, please continue reading
YOUR Race Results, Photos, & social media feeds:
- Current and prior year race results are posted at https://secondwindrunning
- YOUR race photos are uploaded on our facebook page.
- Current and prior year race results are posted at https://secondwindrunning
- Race info and updates sent out via Email and Social Media feeds, and on our web page:
REGISTRATION DEADLINES: Race t-shirts and Monticello Triple Crown signup only available when you register before the respective deadlines.
July 31 - early registration ends (last day to beat the price increase)
September 30 - regular registration ends (tentative last day to order shirts & beat the price increase)
October 12 - Tentative Shirt deadline (if extended, this is the last day to order shirts)
October 20 at 7pm - Monticello Triple Crown qualifier registration end (last day to choose the Monticello Triple Crown award if you qualify and STILL beat the price increase)
October 26 - Registration & Event Transfers End (last day to register in person by 5pm or online by 6pm; last day to transfer from the Trail Run to the Nature Walk or vice versa; if the race director or race captain does not have your registration info you will not be able to race, because we start transferring info to our race timing team)
EARLY REGISTRATION by July 31, 2019 = $26.75 with shirt or $21.75 with no shirt option. $3 discount for Second Wind members ~ Click this link for membership info! You can also register for new or renewal membership during sign up!
REGULAR REGISTRATION by September 30, 2019 = $27.75 with shirt or $24.75 with no shirt option. $3 discount for Second Wind members ~ Click this link for membership info! You can also register for new or renewal membership during sign up!
EXTENDED SHIRT DEADLINE by October 12, 2019 = $30.75 with shirt or $24.75 with no shirt option. $3 discount for Second Wind members ~ Click this link for membership info! You can also register for new or renewal membership during sign up!
MONTICELLO TRIPLE CROWN by October 20, 2019 7pm = $27.75 no shirt. $3 discount for Second Wind members ~ Click this link for membership info! You can also register for new or renewal membership during sign up! You MUST have completed any event from the Allerton Races, completed any event from the Kirby Derby 5K/10K, have signed up for any event from the Allerton Park Trail Run (Trail Run or Nature Walk), AND marked the box for the Triple Crown Award when signing up for the fall Allerton Park Trail Run.
- If you are signing up for the Monticello Triple Crown, and are registering for all three races at the same time, please check the following box and select your preferred size for a Monticello Triple Crown award.
- What qualifies for the Monticello Triple Crown award?
- Any of the events for the Allerton Races: the 5K-Glo Run; the 10K trail run; or the trail Half Marathon
- Any of the events for the Kirby Derby 5K Run/Walk or 10K
- Any of the events for the Allerton PArk Trail Run
LATE REGISTRATION by October 24, 2019 = $30.00 no shirt. $3 discount for Second Wind members ~ Click this link for membership info! You can also register for new or renewal membership during sign up!
LAST DAY OF REGISTRATION by October 26, 2019 = $32.00 online Oct 25 thru Oct 26 6pm ($30 in store at Body'N Sole from 11am to 5pm on Oct 26, but No discounts in store). $3 discount for Second Wind members is online only. ~ Click this link for membership info! You can also register for new or renewal membership during sign up!
About the Race
The race (that we fondly just call “Allerton”) is a 5.7 mile trail run and 2 mile timed walk held on the estate of Robert Allerton Park in Monticello, IL. It is always the last Sunday in October, which obviously occasionally falls on Halloween. The time of year at Allerton is beautiful as the trail is through fall-colored forests and past the unique gardens and statuary of Allerton Park.
It is a trail race, which means that runners may find hidden roots, ruts, sharp turns, and other obstacles. The race course follows the river which has proven quite challenging over the years. When the river is high we have to re-route lest we change the race to a duathalon. Still, no matter the rainfall, the trail on the river side is often quite muddy. It can be slippery and certainly splattery. We look at this as a positive feature. Afterall, it’s a trail run. We take great care with preparing the trail to prevent injuries. The day before the race, we have a crew walk the course, clearing it of the large (3 inch!) green walnut balls, branches and marking roots with orange powder.
In addition to paying the park for its use, we donate proceeds back. They are quite gracious in support and ask how we would like our donations used. They have used our donation towards a railing at a dangerous spot, trail erosion control, recycle bins, water fountain bottle filling station, an outhouse on the Schroth trailhead, to complete the Greenhouse Cafe, and more. We feel quite lucky and blessed that the park allows us to bring 1,200+(?) people into it with 600 pounding the trails.
The race ends in the meadow. Family and friends gather while a local radio station provides music. We have a post run brunch that is largely supported by the food items brought by YOU, the race participants and our sponsors. We have an awards ceremony with many age group awards and also many prize drawings.
It's a retro trail race presented by the Second Wind Running Club, a 501(c)3 organization: ALL finishing times based on a "gun start" time, with computerized chip tracking across the finish. We cannot allow dogs or baby strolers on the course. We do not recommend wearing headphones as we encourage you to enjoy the beautiful natural sounds of the park on your trail run. We are considering using an end to end chip start time in 2019: email the race director and share your thoughts!
A printable PDF flyer is at bottom of this page.
COSTUME AWARDS sponsored by Great Harvest Bread Co
- Best Female Costume
- Best Male Costume
- Best Pair/Group Costume
- Post race door prize for the walker division
- Pick out a costume to wear
- Bring your own water bottle
- Supply your own bib pins if you can
- Car Pool
- Bring a brunch item to share
- Have fun!
- Stay for a wonderful post-race potluck style brunch.
- We will also be sure to bring a lot of extra water this year! Runners...your family members and friends are all welcome.
- So please bring a brunch dish to share (baked goods, fruit, etc). Tableware will be provided.
- Sunday October 27, 2019 at 9am
- Duration: 2 hours for both runners and walkers based on a "
gun" chip start time and finish, with a wave start.
Allerton Park near Monticello, IL. 25 miles west of Champaign, IL
Race this course on Strava by connecting with us at https://www.strava.com/clubs/A
- View the run course on maps on strava and MapMyFitness
- View the 5.7 Mile Run Course Map created by Donald Luman
- View a map of the Nature Walk (compared to the original 2 Mile Walk Course Map 2009 created by Donald Luman and Jane Domier)
- * course map may differ slightly from actual course
Directions to Race
Directions to Allerton (follow directions to the NORTH entrance)
In order to protect Allerton Park’s trails, we are limited in the number of runners we can accommodate. Early registration is strongly recommended!
Bib and Shirt can be picked up from Body N Sole on Saturday October 26th between 11am and 5 pm. Packets may also be picked up race day between 7 and 8:45am.
No age group awards for the nature walk. We plan for all waves (including the Nature Walk) to be chip timed from the start, and based on a wave start. Overall male and female winners earn ceramic trophies and Asics running shoes. Age group awards GIVEN TO THE TOP THREE MALES AND TOP THREE FEMALES IN EACH OF THE FOLLOWING AGE GROUPS: 12 &under, 13-18, 19-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75+, Athena (Ladies 165lb+), Clydesdale (Gents 220lb+).
2011 Age Group Award
Things to do, directions, and more information about Allerton Park
Contact Race Director: Jim Fair III at Allerton@secondwindrunningclub.org
Diane Ducey of Stevie Jay Broadcasting, US Country 105.9, ESPN Radio 93.5, Sunny 95.3, Asics, Body N Sole Sports, Athletico, Marvelous Mud, Great Harvest Bread Co, Kirby Medical Center, Champaign County Realty, Appraisals by Trautman, Second Wind Running Club
October 31st Average High is 57°F and the average low is 38°F in Monticello.
A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Friends of Allerton.
Race Updates and Announcements
This race event meets the standards of the American Trail Runners Association. For more information on these standards, please visit the following link. https://trailrunner.com/about-atra/events-standards-program/
This event is directed by an RRCA-certified race director.
|Allerton Park Trail Run course map.pdf||2.45 MB|
|Allerton2018flyer Issue1 r4 final.pdf||1.8 MB|
|Allerton Nature Walk map edited final.pdf||3.6 MB|
|Allerton Park Trail Run 2019 flyer Issue1 r2 (SWRC).pdf||2.43 MB|