Allerton Park Trail Run
In 2020, race day is everyday in the month of October for our virtual Trail Run & Nature Walk
Starting SEPTEMBER 15, 2020: Register online at https://www.racerpal.com/register/allerton/index.php.
- Our race registration sponsor, RacerPal, has partnered with PayPal to help you process your payment securely using your payment methd of choice whether by credit card, debit card, or checking account.
- The registration fee is the same regardless of whether you sign up on the first or final day of registration.
- To verify whether you are signed up for the either event, please go to: http://www.racerpal.com/
register/allerton/. If your name is not on the list, the race director does not have your registration. participants.php
Awards and Challenges:
- For 2020, there are no age group awards (including the Clydesdale or Athena categories)
- We are currently investigating the logistics of a Trail Challenge, and will post final details if applicable by the time registration opens.
- We are offering the Monticello Triple Crown award, please scroll down to continue for more details on how to qualify
Race Results, Photos, & social media feeds:
- Current and prior year race results are posted at https://secondwindrunning
- You may post your race photos on our facebook page.
- Current and prior year race results are posted at https://secondwindrunning
- Race info and updates sent out via Email and Social Media feeds, and on our web page:
REGISTRATION DEADLINES: Monticello Triple Crown signup only available when you register before the respective deadlines. Prior year long sleeve race t-shirts will be available based on inventory on hand until we run out.
September 15 - October 31: Regular race registration
September 15 - October 25 at 7pm: Monticello Triple Crown qualifier registration (last day to choose the Monticello Triple Crown award if you qualify)
REGULAR REGISTRATION by October 31, 2020 = $25.00. $3 discount for Second Wind members ~ Click this link for membership info! You can also register for new or renewal membership during sign up! The price is the same regardless of whether a shirt, Monticello Triple Crown award, or any other option is selected.
MONTICELLO TRIPLE CROWN: To qualify for this award, you MUST have completed any event from the Allerton Races in 2020, or completed any event from the Kirby Derby 5K/10K, have signed up for any event from the Allerton Park Trail Run (Trail Run or Nature Walk), AND marked the box for the Triple Crown Award before the deadline to sign up for the Monitcello Triple Crown when signing up for the fall Allerton Park Trail Run.
- If you are signing up for the Monticello Triple Crown, and are registering for all three races at the same time, please check the following box and select your preferred size for a Monticello Triple Crown award.
- What qualifies for the Monticello Triple Crown award?
- Any of the events for the Allerton Races: the 5K-Glo Run; the 10K trail run; or the trail Half Marathon
- Any of the events for the Kirby Derby 5K Run/Walk or 10K
- Any of the events for the Allerton Park Trail Run (virtual 2 miler, virtual 5K, or virtual 5.7 mile Trail Run)
About the Race
The race (that we fondly just call “Allerton”) is a 5.7 mile trail run and 2 mile timed walk held on the estate of Robert Allerton Park in Monticello, IL. The LIVE EVENT is always the last Sunday in October, which obviously occasionally falls on Halloween. The time of year at Allerton is beautiful as the trail is through fall-colored forests and past the unique gardens and statuary of Allerton Park.
It is a trail race, which means that runners may find hidden roots, ruts, sharp turns, and other obstacles. The race course follows the river which has proven quite challenging over the years. When the river is high we have to re-route lest we change the race to a duathalon. Still, no matter the rainfall, the trail on the river side is often quite muddy. It can be slippery and certainly splattery. We look at this as a positive feature. Afterall, it’s a trail run. We take great care with preparing the trail to prevent injuries. The day before the race, we have a crew walk the course, clearing it of the large (3 inch!) green walnut balls, branches and marking roots with orange powder.
In addition to paying the park for its use, we donate proceeds back. They are quite gracious in support and ask how we would like our donations used. They have used our donation towards a railing at a dangerous spot, trail erosion control, recycle bins, water fountain bottle filling station, an outhouse on the Schroth trailhead, to complete the Greenhouse Cafe, and more. We feel quite lucky and blessed that the park allows us to bring 1,200+(?) people into it with 600 pounding the trails.
The race ends in the meadow. Family and friends gather while a local radio station provides music. We have a post run brunch that is largely supported by the food items brought by YOU, the race participants and our sponsors. We have an awards ceremony with many age group awards and also many prize drawings.
It's a retro trail race presented by the Second Wind Running Club, a 501(c)3 organization: ALL finishing times based on a chip start and finish time. We cannot allow dogs or baby strollers on the live course. We do not recommend wearing headphones as we encourage you to enjoy the beautiful natural sounds of the park on your trail run. If you would like to sponsor any aspect of the event, email the race director!
A printable PDF flyer is at bottom of this page.
COSTUME AWARDS sponsored by Curtis Orchard & Pumpkin Patch
- Best Female Costume
- Best Male Costume
- Best Pair/Group Costume
- Post race door prize for the walker division
- Pick out a costume to wear
- Bring your own water bottle
- Supply your own bib pins if you can
- Car Pool
- Bring a brunch item to share
- Have fun!
- Feel free to prepare a for yourself a wonderful post-race potluck style brunch (consider this a practice for next year).
- 24 hours daily from October 1 thru 31 2020. Please run with safety precautions in mind regardless of when and where you plan to complete this virtual event.
- Time limit waivered (normally 2 hours) for both runners and walkers based on "
chip" your GPS start time and finish.
Allerton Park & Retreat Center near Monticello, IL. 25 miles west of Champaign, IL
Race this course on Strava by connecting with us at https://www.strava.com/clubs/A
- View the run course on maps on strava and MapMyFitness
- View the 5.7 Mile Run Course Map created by Donald Luman
- View a map of the Nature Walk (compared to the original 2 Mile Walk Course Map 2009 created by Donald Luman and Jane Domier)
- * course map may differ slightly from actual course; the actual course may not be mowed, cleared, or marked in 2020
Directions to Race
Directions to Allerton (follow directions to the NORTH entrance)
In order to protect Allerton Park’s trails, and also comply with the Governor's social distance executive order, we are limited in the number of runners we can physically accommodate.
A shirt and medal will be mailed to each paid registrant, unless an arrangement can be made to pick it up from Body N Sole.
No age group awards for the nature walk. In 2020, no age group awards are planned for the virtual 5K or the virtual 5.7 mile Trail Run.
2011 Age Group Award
Things to do, directions, and more information about Allerton Park
Contact Race Director: Jim Fair III at Allerton@secondwindrunningclub.org
Diane Ducey of Stevie Jay Broadcasting, US Country 105.9, ESPN Radio 93.5, Sunny 95.3; Kellys Accounting Service in Monticello; Body N Sole Sports; Curtis Orchard and Pumpkin Patch; Brooks; Athletico; Marvelous Mud; Chicago Recovery Room; Kirby Medical Center; Second Wind Running Club; RacerPal.
October 31st Average High is 57°F and the average low is 38°F in Monticello.
Race Updates and Announcements
This race event meets the standards of the American Trail Runners Association. For more information on these standards, please visit the following link. https://trailrunner.com/about-atra/events-standards-program/
This event is directed by an RRCA-certified race director.
Second Wind Pages of interest:
- Allerton race updates
- Sponsors of the Allerton Park Trail Run
- History of Race Results: Allerton Races & Allerton Park Trail Run only
- Registration for Second Wind membership (benefts including race discounts provided year-round)
- Our legal disclosures for the Allerton Park Trail Run
- Back to the information page for Allerton Park Trail Run